Job Description: Music Director for Peace Lutheran Church
Peace Lutheran Church seeks a full time music director to coordinate all musical components of our worship service, lead the musical ensembles and accompany the ensembles and congregation. Music is an essential component of Lutheran Worship, and a music director is integral to that part of worship. It is important that the director interact with the congregation and its leaders, have a heart for music, and a care for the spirit of worship.
Background of Music Program
Sanctuary – The sanctuary has a rebuilt 26 rank organ and a Petrof grand piano.
Peace Choir – This adult choir is comprised of about 20 members, and performs twice per month the worship service (9:30 AM). The choir generally conducts a full Christmas program in December, and performs several pieces at a sunrise and 9:30 service on Easter. Rehearsals are held Wednesday evenings 7:15 – 8:30 p.m. The choir is not as active during the summer.
Peace Ringers – This choir performs about once per month in the fall and spring. This group presents one or two pieces as anthem or prelude and often helps accompany hymns. Rehearsals are Tuesday evenings 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- Direct rehearsals and performances as scheduled
- Play organ /piano for all services each Sunday and all special services
- Select choir, bell choir, and children’s choir music for worship services
- Assists in coordinating all special music events. (e.g.; extra instruments and musicians appropriate for seasons or feast days of the church year)
- Order and catalog choral music within allotted budget
- Meet with the Worship Committee as needed
- Assist the pastor in selecting congregational music including psalms, hymns, and liturgy settings
- Assist in obtaining own substitute Choir Director/ Organist in planned absences
- Participate in Performance Evaluation process as established by the Peace Lutheran Church Executive Committee
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as deemed appropriate by the Pastor and Worship Committee
- Formal leadership experience in directing choral groups, preferably church choirs
- Formal experience in playing both organ and piano
- Some formal education in music with a preference for a degree in performance (organ)/choral direction
- Familiar with worship styles, church music, and church calendar
- People skills: ability to work well with people, good communication skills, good planning and execution skills
To be determined based on qualifications
To enquire about this position, please send your resume to the following address or email address or call (979) 693-4403.
Peace Lutheran Church
C/O Pastor Travis Meier
2201 Rio Grande
College Station, TX 77845